Tuesday, December 01, 2009

Getting Old Is So Nice


This morning there is a little snow on the ground. So before I took the dog out for our morning walk, I put on a warm goose down parka and a pair of wool long johns (long underwear). I realized that these long johns were Army issue. They were issued to me in late 1971 - roughly 37 years ago, after I got my degree and had to go into the Army. And they are still really in very good shape. Honest. A few small moth holes, but nothing substantial. And the sweater I put on I remember buying quite well at a Dutch sporting goods store in Brunssum, Holland about 15 years ago. It was really cold that day.

I’m so glad I’m not young any more. Really.

All the torturing self doubt one has to go through. Finding a mate and getting married/raising children. Doing well in your education and your career. Along the way it seems like there are so many people who want to kick you in the ass - your wife, your boss, your parents, your colleagues, and sometimes even your own kids.

Yes, I am very satisfied with the life I have led, and I am so truly thankful that I am through with all the above games. Now I only have to please myself and my little pudgy doggie, Oso Negro.

-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-