Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Alzheimer's

Since I am past age 60, I think that I have every right (maybe even a duty) to think about and openly discuss the matter of Dementia or Alzheimer’s.

As we age, I think it is probably normal for everyone to consider the possibility of your body outlasting your mind. Most of us have had an older relative or acquaintance who suffered with this prior to death. Dementia is really an appalling course of events. For the younger people, children and friends, to see a parent who no longer even recognizes who they are, must be absolutely hideous. I am told that when many old folks get dementia they become paranoid, mean, and unhappy too. So this person not only does not love you or even know who you are any more, they suspect that you are trying to do bad things to them.

Clearly Dementia or Alzheimer’s is a very horrifying thing. All of my older relatives have already died, so I have now become the stinky, sort of creepy, outspoken older relative. One reads good articles about diagnosing the onset of dementia fairly often. The BBC has one today: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/8262388.stm

The problem is, So What?? --Since there is no medical solution to the problem, and there certainly is not a cure, what is so valuable about being able to diagnose (or self diagnose) that some old geezer is starting to show the signs of dementia? I can’t make suggestions for other people. Each person’s situation is very different. But I sure know how I would like to deal with this.

First off, I have no desire to die in some hospital with my arms and legs tied down to the bed. This seems to me like the repugnant sort of torture we read about in the middle ages. But both my grandmother and my mother were tormented this way. When the time comes, I intend to die either in my own bed, or perhaps out in the beautiful desert wilderness of West Texas. When I choose.

Maybe being able to self diagnose the onset of dementia will be useful. Not wishing to go through the torture part of the final chapter, I think it would be entirely reasonable (maybe even rather brave) to make your own decision about when and where to die.

-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-