Thursday, July 19, 2007

Old Graveyards




-



My sister and I visited three graveyards in town earlier this week.


-


We were going to pay our respects to various family members, and then we kind of got into it and ended up wandering around Concordia, thinking about Buffalo Soldiers, Gunslingers, Mexican Presidents, and late 1800s prostitutes.



-



At Evergreen cemetary down near R.E. Thomason I saw a couple of gravestones that said IHS, which reminded me of a late middle age cemetery in Arlon, Belgium. During this time period lots of gravestones said IHS and RIP and it was fairly common to also show a skull and crossbones.



-
(click on the pictures and they will enlarge)




-


-


This is a link to more (unedited or cleaned up) pictures from Arlon, Belgium: http://www.flickr.com/photos/paul_garland/sets/72157600455183369/


-


-


My sister Jan and I were talking about the symbol IHS. She said that the I refered to the Christian Jesus, but that the Romans didn't have a J in their alphabet. In writing this entry I remembered a Roman terrcotta pot I saw at a Roman bathouse and museum where the Roman potter 2,000 years ago had written the alphabet on his pot. It was on a moving turntable, and this is a kind of blurry picture of it.

-

At the left I have a picture of a similar Roman pot. I took this picture at the French Museum of Antiquities just to the west of Paris.

-

-