Monday, September 04, 2006

Jack Kerouac


The latest edition of the El Paso Newspaper Tree has a great article on Jack Kerouac.

Link: http://newspapertree.com/view_article.sstg?c=950aa1e09a474ffd

I read "On The Road" when I was in college. I don't doubt that it had a major impact on me. In this article Joe Olvera looks into Kerouac's attitude towards Mexico and the Mexican people.

He was able to see that they are not fools. That they are grave, hard working, and have tremendous dignity. Kerouac had great love and respect for Mexico and the Mexicans. He knows. He sees.

I call Teresa our maid to the outside world. But to me privately she was my abuelita. She had tremendous strength of character, and a sort of quiet dignity.

My mother was too busy running her little business when I was growing up to spend a great deal of time on me. The people who had the most impact on shaping me were our wonderful Mexican maid Teresa and my maternal grandmother Florence Barnwell.
--
My first word was in Spanish, which clearly shows how great an impact Teresa had on me. Leche, naturally.
-
-