Saturday, October 30, 2010

Silbury Hill


I have visited Stonehenge many times over the years. The last time I went there I also visited Silbury Hill which is just east of the gigantic Avebury stone circle, about 25 miles north of the smaller but much more famous Stonehenge.
-
Silbury Hill is Europe's largest man-made prehistoric mound. Composed mainly of chalk and clay excavated from the surrounding area, the mound stands 40 metres (130 ft) high and covers about 5 acres (2 ha).

There has been some archaeological work done on the hill since I was there so I tried to buy the book from Amazon.com in America. They said it was not yet available, but Amazon.co.uk had it available. Including freight and foreign exchange the price is the same within pennies.


LINK TO BBC ARTICLE: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-11621802

-
-
-
-
-
-