Sunday, July 11, 2010

World Cup Result

I am certain that my Dutch colleagues will be disappointed at the result. To get so close, and then to have Spain beat them by one goal in overtime. I'm sure it is heartbreaking.

I enjoy football, or as we call it here in America “soccer” far more than I do American football, or baseball, golf, tennis, or basketball. These “Ball Sports” have always seemed kind of silly to me. The fans sit there in the stands drinking beer while watching these wonderful athletes do amazing things. In the American version of football it is all very cruel and brutal.

I am much more in favor of participatory sports like snow skiing, scuba diving, horseback riding, bicycling (without the doping), mountain climbing, and backpacking. Snow camping is some of the best, if one if properly prepared.

I lived in the Netherlands for 15 years, and I have many Dutch friends. But Spain is a nice country too. And Spain has been really down lately...they needed the emotional boost.

-
-
-
-

-
-