Thursday, May 20, 2010

The Rolling Stones


Robert A. Heinlein wrote a great many books. I just finished his 1952 book called The Rolling Stones.

There has been some terrific change in technology and communication in the last 60 years, but this book does not seem at all dated. I have found only a few science fiction authors who were good enough scientists that they could pull this off. Arthur C. Clark was another.

A quick quote from this book:

“What's your real reason? Why do you want to go?”
Why? Why does anybody want to go anywhere? Why did the bear go round the mountain? To see what he could see! I've never seen the Rings. That's reason enough to go anywhere. The race has been doing it for all time. The dull ones stay home – and the bright ones stir around and try to see what trouble they can dig up. It's a human pattern. It doesn't need a reason.”

I really enjoyed this little book, and I recommend it to others.

-
-
-
-
-
-