Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Fragile Wetlands

In the news this morning I read that the “Spill Threatens Louisiana's Fragile Wetlands.” Unless you live right on the Gulf Coast, or your livelihood is directly affected, I don't think most people care. Not much at all.

Just like most people don't care if the Maldives are washed away. Any more than they care about Bangladesh (or New Orleans) getting flooded. Just as long as they can keep driving their gigantic, poor fuel economy SUVs, and the air conditioners at their homes and offices work real well, they are so self centered that they really don't care at all.

My own personal experience is that young people in their 20's and 30's are worse about this arrogance than older folks. I don't see the idealism of youth. I see the greed and arrogance of youth. And this is not just an American phenomenon. Worldwide we see that people just don't care.

How society can possibly deal with this baffles me.

-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-