Saturday, April 24, 2010

Saturday Morning

Yesterday I went over to a blood lab and had blood taken. They are going to run tests for the things that leukemia patients care about. I should get the results by email early next week.

This morning the dog and I went out for a walk in the desert. It was a bit cold and really windy, so I did not bring a good camera with me. We were about a mile from the nearest house. Naturally since I only had my cell phone camera we saw something neat: A beautiful bright green bird, a bit smaller than your typical little brown job. I don't know anything about birds, but it looked like a parakeet to me. I didn't even try to get his pic on the cellphone; I just enjoyed the view.

Then we went down to the flea market in Socorro, Texas. Not many other fools were there because of the cool weather and the high winds. We said hi to some friends of ours, then bought two burritos.

Next we went down to the central plaza in San Elizario. We were so close to Mexico that my cellphone chose to use the Mexican cellular network rather than AT&T. They are having an art fair there, and I bought two more of the custom “green man” pots. This is the weekend that they are celebrating in San Elizario the first thanksgiving in North America. This celebration by the Spanish explorer Don Juan de Onate took place on April 30, 1598. Since this significantly predates the thanksgiving celebrated by the Pilgrims it has caused a certain amount of controversy back east. But not here. In El Paso it is just taken as an accepted historical fact.

-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-