Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Outrage


Outrage is a 2009 documentary movie. My copy of the DVD arrived today. It explores the hypocrisy of closeted gay politicians who oppose and vote against any and all gay-friendly legislation. I'm not even a teeny tiny bit gay. I'm not homophobic, and I certainly would oppose the morality police breaking down doors in the middle of the night trying to catch two lesbian women or two gay guys engaged in some sort of homosexual act. I'm mostly just uninterested in gay-lesbian issues.

I think that there are about a zillion more important issues we need to work on first. Re-regulation of the financial system, ending the wars, winding down nuclear energy, improving education, and global warming are only a few of them. We only have so much time and energy, and we have to set priorities.

But I am very much opposed to almost all forms of dishonesty and hypocrisy. Reform of the American form of Democracy so that no elected official can accept a campaign contribution, gift, or bribe in excess of $25- is probably the most important item on my list. Why did I limit it by saying “almost all” in the first sentence of this paragraph? Cruelty and brutality under the guise of honesty is also a really bad thing. Example, “Honey, does this dress make my ass look really fat?”

There are some really good people who are gay. Congressman Barney Frank is one, and the actor and writer Stephen Fry is another. There are also some dishonest jerks among the gay community, like Senator Larry Craig. It doesn't matter one bit if these politicians are straight and kinky as hell, or if they are flamboyantly gay. But if they are gay, and because of their paranoia about being outed they vote consistently against legislation which might save people's lives from AIDS, then their hypocricy matters a lot.

If this issue is important to you, then you certainly need to watch this movie.


LINK: . http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Outrage_(2009_film))
.
.
.
.
.