Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Gun Laws in America

There have been many articles published recently discussing how sales of guns and ammunition have increased now that Barack Obama is President. There is also a trend in a number of states towards changing the laws and regulations regarding guns, making it easier to buy or carry a concealed, loaded handgun. In some states people are even allowed to openly carry a weapon.

It is so simple to try and define people as either Right Wing or a Liberal. But people are complex beings. Many people subscribe to liberal views on issues of basic human rights, but they might be closer to conservatives when it comes to economics.

I consider myself to be a Liberal. A well educated, broadly traveled and experienced Progressive. On a great many issues I fault the Obama administration for not being nearly liberal enough. They normally behave much more like a group of center-right conservative Republicans than like traditional Democrats. Eisenhower would have loved them. Barack Obama desperately wants to accepted into the elite power structure, but the more he sucks up to them, the more they detest him.

I am not some sort of a Gun Freak. I abhor warfare, physical violence, or killing. But I look around and I see more and more gun carrying, mentally unstable right wing fanatics. Many of these religious fanatics and racists are behaving like such lunatics that they kind of scare me. And maybe the youth of today is no worse than our generation was, but they sure seem much more rude and spoiled than we were.

I live just a few miles north of the border with Juarez, Mexico. I am fluent in the Spanish language, and I have great respect for many elements of the Mexican culture. As the mass exodus from the drug wars in Mexico continues, it seems like almost a quarter or maybe even one third or all the cars I see on the freeway now are big SUVs with shiny expensive wheels, blacked-out mafia style windows, and license plates issued in Mexico. You betcha I carry a loaded firearm.

Whether it is some lunatic on crystal methamphetamine, some drug cartel hit man or wannabe, or maybe just a routine racist, right wing fanatic, there are plenty of people one passes in the aisle at Walmart or on the freeway who might snap anytime, bring out a gun and start shooting. I feel that is is only sensible and responsible to be prepared in the event one is confronted by one of these weirdos.

.
.
.
.
.
.