Saturday, January 02, 2010

Aggressive Big Dogs Off The Leash

My little black doggie and I went to the flea market this morning. We go most Saturday mornings so that we can buy fresh, vine-ripened tomatoes and home made tamales. I had Inu on the leash since there were a lot of people around. Many people are afraid of dogs, and having your dog on a leash is a matter of good manners and common courtesy.

What looked like a full grown male St. Bernard walked up to us. He was not wearing a collar and he still had his testicles. At first he seemed like a nice enough guy, he and Inu were doing the sniff the backside routine. He began to get very frisky, and I joked in Spanish to the people nearby that my dog was ALSO a male.

Soon the St. Bernard began barking very enthusiastically and started getting fairly aggressive. I tried to shoo him off, but I was unsuccessful. By now the big dog was barking wildly, getting downright aggressive, and a crowd was starting to gather around us. Inu and I have been through this before with large, male bullies who have far too much testosterone and no collar or leash.

I reached down and with the quick release mechanism quickly removed the leash from Inu's collar. This was to give him the flexibility of movement he needed. I folded the chain-leash in two and began swinging it as a weapon. Inu and I then both charged the bully St. Bernard in tandem. He went scurrying away like a bully who had just been woefully shamed in public. Inu strutted around a bit, and in Spanish I said to the shocked crowd, “I don't want any trouble...from doggies or people. But if it comes anyway, then I am happy to join in. If he wants to play it is OK.”

-

I feel a bit ashamed to admit it, but afterwards Inu and I both felt like, Hey Man, we've still got it!
-
-
-
-
-
-
-