Wednesday, October 07, 2009

Lunar Crater Observation and Sensing Satellite Moon Impact




Tomorrow night late October 8, which is actually early in the morning on October 9, a satellite travelling at high speed will impact the moon near to the lunar south pole. The plume of dust will be studied to try and determine if water is present under the surface. The impact will not be visible from Asia or Europe, but it will be from the Americas.

A live NASA TV Broadcast is planned for the LCROSS impacts starting at 4:15 a.m. MDT, Oct. 9, on NASA TV and on www.nasa.gov/ntv



The actual impact will take place at 5:31 a.m. Mountain time or 11:31:30 universal time coordinated, or as us old geezers call it, either Zulu or Greenwich Mean Time. The plume will gradually rise for about 10 minutes.

The experts say that the plume will not be visible even with really good binoculars, and that one will need a 10 inch to 12 inch telescope to view it. My 8 inch Dobsonian has given me some really spectacular views of the moon and the planets, but I hate to lug it outside for nothing if it really is too small.

I guess even if I don’t see the plume of dust, just getting to see the moon up close and personal again will be worth it. I’ll go ahead and set the alarm, but time will tell if I watch it on the internet or from my own backyard. Maybe I’ll use my wifi and do both.

-

October 9: Although it hit right on where it was supposed to, apparently there was no ejecta plume.
-


-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-