Saturday, July 25, 2009

Red Dwarf


The TV comedy science fiction series called Red Dwarf ran from 1988 until 1999 on BBC2 in the UK. It won many awards and still has a well deserved cult following. Various unsuccessful knock offs have been tried in the USA including an attempt in 1992 and a later movie. Much like Time Team America, The Office, and Life On Mars, the American attempts to copy popular British TV shows have normally met with very limited success.

Even though Red Dwarf originally was broadcast in the PAL television format, it is available in America on DVDs which will play fine on a conventional modern American format DVD player. It looks just great on my large screen high definition TV set. I bought my Red Dwarf DVDs from Amazon.com

I lived in Europe for 15 years, and I first became aware of the series over there. That was back in the bad old days when one still watched TV shows from a VCR tape system. I was and still am a devoted fanatical follower of the Red Dwarf Cult.

Fans of Craig Ferguson should watch the fifth program in Series I of Red Dwarf called “Confidence & Paranoia.” A twenty year younger and somewhat more rotund Craig Ferguson plays the character called Confidence. Maybe it is just the make up, but to me Craig Ferguson looks sort of like Elvis!

If you aren’t familiar with the Red Dwarf series I recommend that you at least watch all of Series I before you make up you mind about this wonderful classic TV series.
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-