Monday, July 20, 2009

The Market

This morning at the supermarket I was buying some toothpaste. I happened to notice that the exact same type of Colgate was offered in a 6 oz size, a smaller size, a larger size container, and two each 6 oz tubes bundled together as a special deal. As one would expect, the small tube was much more expensive per ounce of product, but surprisingly so was the larger size. What was really amazing was that it was cheaper to buy two separate 6 oz tubes of Colgate toothpaste than the two 6 oz tubes bundled together at a “special” price!

I was telling the lady at the checkout register this, and I mentioned that it didn’t matter one bit what price the several bags of Clementine oranges I was buying were, because they were so good. I informed her that they used to be called White Glove Oranges because supposedly one could peel them while wearing white gloves.

When I got home I saw that these clementines were grown in Chile. Look on the map. Chile is in the southern hemisphere and is a long way away. Chile is a narrow but VERY long country. It is about 2,600 miles from North to South. This is how wide America is from the Pacific Ocean to the Atlantic Ocean.

I guess my sales pitch on how good these clementines were was successful, because the checkout lady asked if she could have one. She said that if she liked it she would also buy some. I told her sure, so she took one of the clementines out of the bag I had just purchased.
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-