Thursday, July 23, 2009

24 Hour News Cycle

Recently I have found myself getting deeply into the insanity of the 24 hour news cycle. For the most part this does not make one better informed, it just makes you more paranoid.

The forces of the Dark Lord Voldemort and Mordor have been massing (read as republicans, bigots, racists, and the right wing). It has begun to look doubtful that Harry Potter or Frodo Baggins could possibly succeed in their battle against such intense evil.

President Obama telling these evil bastards that “this is not some kind of a game helped.” A little bit. In my mind’s eye I can see those nasty, mean, spiteful, and malevolent republican Congressmen and Senators smirking, poking each other in the ribs, and laughing to each other. Rush Limbaugh and Fox News are just eating this up.

Forget about the 50 million people who do not have health insurance for a moment. Imagine the middle class people who DO have health insurance but have to go bankrupt because of one major accident or illness. We need to realize that the insurance companies are not there to serve their policyholders, hard working loyal employees, or their families. The goal of insurance companies is to make profits for their shareholders, to increase the value of their corporate stock, and very importantly to provide large compensation packages for the top executives of these insurance companies. The easiest way to do this is do deny coverage, have unrealistic upper limits on coverage, and to terminate the policies of sick people.

I could not bring myself to watch President Obama’s television address on health care yesterday evening. I have already done all I can to help him. Reading Paul Krugman’s blog this morning it looks like Obama was articulate and has a clear picture of the situation. Krugman says that Obama “gets it.” The democrats have a clear majority in the Senate and the House of Representatives. So get tough and use everything you have got Mr. President!!

The above metaphor comparing these forces of evil to Mordor, Sauron, and Lord Voldemort felt really good. I think I’ll do a bit more. But I want to be careful not to overstate my distaste for these people.

These reactionary republicans who are working to make health care which actually works available only to the rich and powerful caste are horrible, sick, evil bastards. Wicked, disgusting, immoral, dishonest, corrupt, depraved, low-down degenerate sons of bitches. One of the more revolting parts is to see the spectacle of these repulsive, nauseating republicans ingenuously wrapping themselves in the American Flag and thumping on the Bible. The opponents of universal health care in America are miserable soulless beings who make orcs and dementors seem rather pleasant to be around.

I wish I were more articulate and could better express my distaste for these ignorant right wing creatures.
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-