Saturday, June 27, 2009

James May


I really like James May. Of the three guys on the BBC’s Top Gear, I like Captain Slow the best. Jeremy Clarkson is a disaster. Clarkson is a rude, overbearing cretin, to be kind and gentle about it. Richard Hammond is fantastic, and I love him.

But James just seems to fit so well. He is like a comfortable old shoe. Plus he is a pilot, so he and I share a variety of common interests.

On BBC2 in the UK James May has been hosting a series called Big Ideas. It was just released on DVD on 22 Jun 2009, and is available from Amazon.co.uk I received mine a few days ago from England.

Unfortunately these DVDs will not play on an American DVD player, only on one set up to play European DVDs. These are available from Amazon.com and are well worth owning. Frequently I find movies and TV shows on DVD which are available on European format DVDs, but not yet on American format DVDs. Search Amazon.com for ‘all region DVD players.’ They currently have several well under $100-

The synopsis from Amazon.co.uk for this series says it much better than I can, “James May explores astonishing innovations in energy, transport and robotics, in this follow-up to the series JAMES MAY'S 20TH CENTURY. May travels across the UK, US, Spain, Germany, Holland, Japan, Russia, and Ireland, to find cutting-edge science such as flying cars and 'petrol' made from air.”

I recommend this James May DVD series highly!

-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-