Friday, May 29, 2009

Nighttime Leg Cramps

One of the many symptoms that some people experience while going through late stage leukemia is severe leg cramping at night. There are those who say that leg cramping is associated with dehydration, or a calcium deficiency which taking a Tums or two at night will help.

Last night I drank four large mugs of water over the course of the night. I ate two Tums just before going to sleep, and then another one around midnight. Even so I was awakened by a severe leg cramp in my calf around 4:30 a.m.

For me the only way to stop this leg cramping is to stand up on the leg. But of course for the first few seconds when one tries to stand on the leg it is sort of like having one’s foot asleep. You have to apply full pressure slowly, gradually over the course of a few seconds.

I can imagine how strange all this must appear to my little doggie. While sound asleep I let out a shrieking little-girly type of scream from being in such intense pain. Then I very hastily throw the covers off me and jump out of bed in the dark without my glasses on. Keep in mind that I am still barely awake, and that only one leg is functioning.

Actually I think it would make a pretty good comedy sketch watching a fat old man jump around in the dark with only his underwear on, half blind and half asleep, with only one leg working, and still moaning in pain.

My dignified and loyal little dog would be watching me and thinking to himself, “Hey Dude, just what in the hell is going on here?” LOL.

-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-