Thursday, May 28, 2009

Dr. Terry Hamblin

I consider myself to be extremely fortunate to have known Dr. Terry Hamblin. I met him a couple of years after I was diagnosed with cancer. I was living in continental Europe at the time, so it wasn’t that difficult to fly over to southern England to meet him. He was kind enough to run a series of the very most high tech blood tests on me including testing various specific genes and their mutational status. He would not allow me to pay him for his work, I only paid a token amount for the lab work done by the third party laboratory he uses.

Besides discussing leukemia we also discussed various political and ethical issues. Then he acted as sort of a tour guide, recommending various neat places to see while I was in Dorset. It is a truly wonderful place. I would highly recommend a trip to southern England to anyone.

He is now semi-retired, and he is currently suffering through several rounds of painful and aggressive chemotherapy trying to cure a type of abdominal cancer. A great many people in all parts of the planet wish him well, and I consider myself honored to be among that group of people.

Dr. Hamblin spent most of his professional career studying a type of malignant cancer or lymphoma known as chronic lymphocytic leukemia (CLL). He is still regarded as one of the most knowledgeable and top experts in the disease worldwide.

He also is a charming, brilliant, and funny guy. He is a very ethical man who fits right in with all people. From the lowest and most uneducated members of society, to royalty and the top elites.

Today I was reading one of the many professional papers he has written on CLL over the course of his career. Google scholar allows one to search for articles written by a particular scholar, and this link should get you to much of his published work. You might be asked to type in his name as a search criteria: http://scholar.google.com/scholar?q="author:T.%20J.+author:Hamblin"

Dr. Hamblin started a blog called Mutations Of Mortality a few years ago, which is generally a true pleasure to read: http://mutated-unmuated.blogspot.com/

-
-
-
-
-
-
--
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-