Monday, April 06, 2009

Fluorescent Minerals

There is a big discussion currently raging among fluorescent mineral collectors about whether it is better or more attractive to grind and polish a stone into a sphere, cabochon, or some other smooth shiny shape versus leaving it in pretty much the state it came of out nature.

This is largely a matter of “beauty is in the eyes of the beholder” but not entirely.

Many of my fellow rockhounds mostly are into silicon dioxide in all of its amazing variations. They spend a large amount of time collecting, trading, grinding, cutting, and polishing. Some of them even make jewelry. That is fine. I’m all for it. They make some very beautiful things.

But I generally prefer fluorescent minerals to be left in the state that that nature made them. Think about crystals of calcite, aragonite, or fluorite. One would destroy much of the natural beauty by trying to improve on nature.

I guess 99% of my collection is in its natural state, but I do have to admit to owning a fluorite mouse that is real cute, a few spheres and cabochons, a couple of fluorescent dolphins, and also a beautiful little bird made out of various stones including a couple that are mildly fluorescent. In my view most septarian concretions are far more attractive if they are polished.

So I guess it is best to realize that there are very few absolutes in life, and just accept that if the guy next to you wants to grind up that beautiful fluorescent stone into a polished sphere then that is his business.
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-