Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Comets

The last time Haley's comet visited us I was still actively flying. In the middle of the night I took my mother (now deceased) up above the haze of the city air to see the comet. Haley was really large, but honestly not all that bright. My Mom was a little disappointed.
-
It is now 2:00 in the morning. I just brought my telescope in from the backyard. I have an 8 inch dobsonian, with the finest Tele Vue eyepieces you can buy. I also have four smaller telescopes, and I would not classify this eight inch as a "small" telescope.
-
In the consumer media there were claims that the comet Lulin could be seen in binoculars, or in a small telescope. It is its closest and brightest right now. I just watched it for about 15 minutes. It is very near to Saturn, which is looking lovely tonight. But Lulin is just a dim little smudge...
-
The comet Lulin is not at all like this lovely image generated by my computer astronomy software. But at least I saw it, and the beautiful planet Saturn was giving a wonderful show tonight in the clear west Texas air.

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-