Sunday, January 25, 2009

Juarez, Mexico

The newspaper Norte de Ciudad Juarez has reported some comparative murder rates. The Juarez murder rate is 11 times the national average in Mexico and more than 25 times the international average of number of murders per 100,000 population. This makes Juarez one of the most violent cities in the world.

The Houston Chronicle says, “In this carnage-racked border city of 1.3 million, more than 80 murders have been clocked in the past three weeks, and kidnappings, extortions, robberies and rapes further bedevil an already rattled population.” http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/world/6228949.html

Several times each week I drive down the border highway in El Paso, Texas. This is a 4-lane divided highway which parallels Interstate 10. It runs right next to Mexico. I mean like just 10 or 15 meters away. I like the border highway because I can drive along very slowly to improve my fuel economy. Technically the speed limit is 60 mph (approx 100 kilometers per hour) but no one really cares if you do 45 mpg (72 kph). And there are plenty of other poor Mexicans driving slowly right along with me.

I have genuine compassion for people who need a helping hand. So I have racked my brain trying to find something I can do to help these people. But I have not come up with any good ideas.

So what do I do? What with all the carjacking, murder, and beheading it is just plain sensible to be careful. So I try to avoid late nights and weird places. I also always carry a concealed hand gun. (I do have a license to carry this concealed firearm.)

To some of my fellow progressives I’m sure this sounds absolutely terrible, but it is just realistic. I am an old man now. I don’t move as fast as I used to. I am not out looking for trouble, for sure. But if some young drugged up lunatic wants to fuck with me and try to harm me, he will learn that he has come to the wrong place.
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-