Tuesday, December 02, 2008

Roman Villa Otrange




-
---------------------------------------------- (click on the images and they will enlarge)




I guess I’ve visited 75 or 100 Roman Villas and Roman public Bathhouses. Maybe more. The Roman Empire occupied a vast piece of real estate from Isreal and northern Africa to most of England and much of what today is called Europe.

-

I lived in Europe for almost 20 years, and I did a lot of travelling and sight seeing. There was a Roman Villa less than 2 miles west of my house in Holland in Kerkrade, and a large Roman Bathhouse about 5 miles away to the northeast in Heerlen, The Netherlands. Right around the corner from my attorney's office.

-

I’ve had the pleasure to see lots of ancient things 2,000 to 7,500 years old from Egypt, Israel, Lebanon, Greece, mainland Europe, and the United Kingdom. So there are many, many places that I could rave about. Narrowing it down is the tough part.

-

One of my favorites is a small but very well preserved Roman villa that is about 5 miles north of Bitburg, Germany. Near Fiesem. N 50.014495, E 6.547099

-

It is called the Roman Villa Otrange. I have visited there several times. It is right off the road when going from Aachen/Maastricht to Trier.

-

It may well have the finest example of hypocaust heating in all of Europe. It also has some nice floor mosaics.

-

-

This is one of the few places that the entry point for the fire on the outside of the building still exists, and one of the best collections of Roman box tiles which exhaust the burnt gas and heat the walls still in situ.
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-