Sunday, September 14, 2008

Galveston Island

-
The people who live in Galveston, Texas have just been through a terrible ordeal. My heart goes out to them. The coastal area around Galveston is beautiful. Port Arthur and the Sabine National Wildlife Refuge are close, as is one of the country’s biggest, most dynamic, and most polluted cities - Houston, Texas. I have visited the area many times.

But I also am a realist. People who choose to ignore history and live on the slopes of an active volcano eventually get what they have asked for.

It is nice living at sea level near the ocean. After I got out of high school me and a couple of friends rented a place in Hermosa Beach. Easy walking distance to the beach in Southern California.

In college one of my hobbies was collecting orchids in Central America and growing orchids in a greenhouse in the desert of El Paso, Texas. So after I got my bachelor’s degree I went to work for a nursery in southern Florida. South of Miami. These people were the first to commercially clone orchid plants. I spent plenty of time wandering around in the Everglades.

A bit later in my life story the company I was working for offered me a promotion to become the Plant Manager of the country’s largest sweet potato cannery which is located in far south Louisiana. Near New Iberia. My house backed up to a bayou and was 20 feet above sea level. I spent three seasons down there, and in my personal time I enjoyed scuba diving in the Gulf Of Mexico and visiting the Atchafalaya swamp.

So based upon my own personal experiences I can attest to the fact that it is indeed very nice living near the ocean. But it is also dangerous. While I was living in Louisiana I survived a direct hit from the Category 5 hurricane Andrew. At the time it was the most damaging hurricane to ever hit America.

If my home town of El Paso, Texas out in the Chihuahuan desert runs completely out of water people will say, “Well fool, that’s what you get for trying to make the desert green.”

And the people who live in southern Italy near Naples and Mt. Vesuvius can’t seem to understand that Pompeii and Herculaneum have been covered over by countless volcanic eruptions of the nearby volcano. Not just once, but many times. Yet they choose to continue living there.

The same applies to the people of Galveston. Figure it out…
-
-
-
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
-
Hurricanes/Tropical Cyclones are just super-monster thunderstorms that get cancerous and grow all out of control. They occur when it is warm.
-
After Hurricane Andrew lots of people didn't have electricity for many days. Some people weeks. So in a humid, hot climate your airconditioner doesn't work. You are using candles to see with, and they generate more heat.
-
Your refrigerator and freezers don't work, so all your food spoils. The people who own generators are heroes.
-
You may not even have fresh water out of the tap for a long time. So you can't flush the toilet or take a shower, even though it is hot and humid and your air conditioner isn't working. Not good.
---
-
-
-
-
-
--

-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-