Sunday, September 21, 2008

$700 Billion Dollars

When I was an undergraduate in the late 1960’s and early 1970’s the Vietnam War was still raging. As was fashionable at the time among left wing intellectuals I studied Karl Marx and read Das Kapital. I’m sure that some people must have thought that in order to fight Communism you would need to study it.

Even as a young, long haired, marijuana smoking, anti-war liberal I saw major flaws in government ownership of the means of production and distribution. From each according to his abilities, to each according to his needs. Give me a break!

Later in my life journey I happened to be in Trier, Germany and saw the house that Karl Marx was born in. On one of my trips to London I visited Highgate Cemetery where I got to see his extremely flamboyant, un-proletarian grave site.

Nationalism of the insurance and financial industry is a really odd thing for the deregulation, stand-on-your-own Republicans to do. Just like totally unregulated capitalist economies cycle wildly from boom to bust, now that the Republicans see their trickle-down, tax-cuts-for-the-rich ideas totally discredited they are going from desperate extreme to extreme and wildly grasping at straws. These guys were always very self-centered. Now they are becoming dangerous, loose cannons.

I sort of miss the good old days when these rich bastards would just jump out of high windows when they lost it all.
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-