Sunday, June 15, 2008

Adventures in Hypermiling

-
The Washington Post has an article today on Hypermiling. It is written in kind of a hokey fashion, making the journalist appear rather stupid. But it is an informative article anyway. I don't know if this link will work but its worth a try:

LINK: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/06/14/AR2008061400127.html?sub=AR


The article covers all the standard points of hypermiling like drive slow and maintain a constant speed, accelerate slowly, try to avoid using the brakes, when going down a long hill put the car in neutral, make sure that there is plenty of air pressure in your tires to reduce rolling resistance, and turn off the engine at long stop lights, etc.

It also goes over the recommended safety warnings like don’t draft (following VERY closely behind an 18 wheeler truck to reduce wind resistance).

I already do all of these things. Before the car I have now I had a Toyota Prius. It’s display of fuel economy helps one learn the importance of following the above recommendations. My current Toyota Corolla does not display fuel economy which I miss greatly. The newspaper article describes a plug in device which does display fuel economy is virtually any vehicle made since 1996 called the ScanGuage II. I just ordered one. Look at it on Amazon.com and you can see all the user comments.

-

-

-

-

--