Thursday, May 08, 2008

Hypermiling

-
I recently have read several articles on hypermiling.

This is a word referring to some fanatics who do virtually ANYTHING to improve their fuel economy. Raising the tire pressure far beyond the car manufacturer’s recommendations, tailgating 18 wheeler trucks (drafting), going to extremes to not use the brakes, etc.

This all sounded interesting to me, so on the most recent tank of gas I decided to do everything possible to get good gas mileage. Like setting the cruise control at 50 mph when on the freeway, even when the speed limit is 70 mph. Of course I got plenty of honks and obscene gestures from the dinosaurs who were racing along, speeding up and slowing down, getting miserable gas mileage.

I almost always get just above 40 mpg on my Toyota Corolla. But this tank I did much better. Granted it was almost all (probably 90%) highway mileage. But there were a few times when I went into the supermarket and left the car running outside so that the air conditioner would keep my best friend cool and comfortable.

I went much further on this tank than normally. So I knew the mileage was going to be superb. But it even surprised me: 48.6 mpg!!
-
-
-
-
-
-
-