Monday, October 29, 2007

Speed Limit in Germany?

-
In today's news I see that the social democrats (the SPD) is recommending that an 80 mph speed limit be imposed on the German freeways. To lower carbon dioxide emissions.
-
Fortunately the Prime Minister (they call this job the Chancellor) Angela Merkel is saying, "No way Jose', not on my watch."
-
In a surprising policy decision, the SPD voted in favor of introducing a speed limit of 130 kph (80 mph) on Germany's autobahns, famous for their lack of speed limits, in a bid to reduce CO2 emissions. However the policy is unlikely to make it into law, due to opposition from the CDU: In an interview on Sunday, Merkel said a speed limit "is not going to happen with me." Germany's powerful car lobby opposes autobahn speed limits, arguing that they reduce demand for its high-performance automobiles.
-
Until early 2007 I lived in Europe for 15 years. My house was less than a mile from the German border.
-
The German freeways have a roadbed that is more than twice the thickness of the American Interstate Highways, and the radius of the bends is extremely gentle. The same turn on the German motorways will take 2-1/2 to 3 times as far as on the USA expressways. In other words these German roads are made for really high speeds.
-
Before I bought the Toyota Prius, very often indeed I would get on the German freeways (autobahn) and set the cruise control on 130 mph. Yes MILES per hour. This meant that most of the time I would have to stay in the slow lane because the BMWs and Porsches and the occasional Ferrari were just zipping past me like I was standing still. I guess they were probably doing around 180 mph.
-
But with traffic tie ups I would normally catch up to them in 10 or 20 miles.
-
True Story: One time I was on my way to an art exhibit in Frankfurt about 260 kilometers away. A close friend of mine was on vacation with his family, and he was pulling his camping trailer very responsibly about 60 mph. I didn't even see him as I blew by. He recognized my car with the Dutch license plates. So he called me on the Cell Phone and asked me if I was on my way to Frankfurt. I said Yes I was. So I slowed way down, then finally pulled over and waited for several minutes so he could catch me. I waved at his kids, then hauled ass on towards Frankfurt.
-