Thursday, October 18, 2007

The El Paso County Sheriff

Inu and I had an interesting walk this morning. It is finally beginning to cool down slightly here in the high desert, so we took a little longer walk out in the desert than usual.

And when we got back to where I could see the car parked out in the desert I was shocked to see another car parked right behind it. And then I noticed two large persons examining my car. At first I thought, “Oh Goodness, I hope I am not about to have some sort of a confrontation.”

Then I noticed that the other car was painted black and white and had lights on top. And that both of the big persons were wearing uniforms. And then I thought, “Oh Goodness, I hope am not about to have another sort of confrontation.”

Of course Inu was bounding across the desert wanting to make friends with these two new people. And both Sheriffs did a quick draw, removing their night sticks from their belts, just in case they needed to defend themselves from my little black doggie.

So I took off my hat to show deference, and then I hollered at them, “Good Morning Officer. He is the kind of doggie that will lick the burglars to death.”

It was a man and woman sheriff. She was either a really pushy and overbearing female, or she was of higher seniority, because she sure took the lead.

They were worried that someone had stolen my car and dumped it out here in the desert, or that I had come out here to commit suicide. The lady told me, “Usually when we find a car out here in the desert there is not a good ending.”

Well there was a good ending this time. Inu got to make two new friends. The man asked me my name, so I told him my name and said, “I can show you some ID if you like.” And the Sheriff said, “Oh no, that’s OK.”

When we all got back to our cars both Sheriffs shook my hand, and we parted on very friendly terms.