Friday, September 28, 2007

El Paso Mineral and Gem Society









The El Paso Mineral and Gem Society had a fund-raising auction last night.

-
From my collection I donated a nice amethyst geode, the petrified wood that I recently found near my house, and a piece of chalk with fluorescent calcite from the formation bordering the English channel. Like at Dover, but on the French side.

I bought some nice things in the auction - and CHEAP too!

I got one half of a geode recently found near Deming, New Mexico USA. Look closely at this under shortwave ultraviolet light and you will see in the top right hand corner a small bit of calcite that fluoresces red.
-
NOTE: Click on the pictures and they will enlarge
-
The green fluorescence is trace amounts of uranium in the silicon dioxide. You can see the bands (sort of like tree rings) where it was deposited in layers.

I also got a couple of pieces of fossilized plants out of England, and a cut slab of ancient “little critters.” Also a couple of cut slabs of fossilized palm tree wood from East Texas, and some dog tooth calcltie which barely fluoresces at all.
-
And a friend gave me a nice big piece of mahogany obsidian.

These rocks plus several more which I gave away cost me a total of $10-. What a deal.



-



-



-