Friday, July 27, 2007

Cleaning Up Juarez

I was reading a newspaper article today about how the Mexican authorities are “cleaning up” Juarez. No longer allowing underage Gringo kids to drink, closing down the whore houses, etc.

It made me think back to high school. For several generations of people, Juarez was our own little Amsterdam.

I guess that’s why when I moved to the Netherlands and lived there for 15 years it was just no shock at all to find out that prostitution was completely legal. Indeed the Dutch whores have a Whore’s Labor Union to make sure that their working conditions are correct. And in any little Dutch town large enough to have a pub, there will also be a “coffee shop” where they completely legally serve pot and hashish. You walk in and sit down (or go to the bar) and the waitress hands you a menu of their various ass kick varieties of the green herb. You can even take some home to go like you would at the Chinese restaurant.

So here I am at age 58. I haven’t drank one little drop of alcohol for 5 or 6 years. I also quit smoking cigarettes roughly that long ago. And I haven’t smoked pot for years.

Haven’t had sex with a woman since wife No. 3. That’s OK too. Most of my married friends either never have sex with their wife, or they get some 2 - 3 times per year. Yet they have to put up with their wife constantly trying to improve and modify them. And wives are not inexpensive either. I digress.

Well, several of the friends I had back then who liked to go to Juarez and get drunk have been dead for years now. Dead for various official reasons, but in reality primarily due to their continued consumption of excessive amounts of alcohol and drugs and cigarettes.

I got to thinking about what it was like back in High School. Being constantly driven by testosterone and titts.

Everything I did, every goal, was intended to increase the supply of sex from women and access to mammaries. It certainly was not convenient to think deeply or very long about history or philosophy, when in fact all one could think about was that girl sitting over there… And what she had hidden up between her legs and in her blouse.

It truly is a great relief to be 58 and have the sex hormones quieting down a little. Its not that I actually detest women. I really kind of like them, and rather enjoy their company. But I certainly wouldn’t want to have sex with some fat old chick who looks like my grandmother.

I guess overall it is probably good for the Mexicans to clean up Juarez. Kind of like prohibition was a good idea in the 1930s.

But I do think that growing up next to Little Amsterdam gave us a wider and more balanced view of the world than someone who grew up as a Baptist. In some little narrow minded town in the Midwest.