Sunday, June 17, 2007

Politics Texas Style


Almost thirty years ago I ran for a minor elected political office in El Paso, Texas as a Democrat. And I got elected. I’ve still got a couple of the ball point pens I gave out during my campaign: Elect H. Paul Garland - Your Vote Appreciated

At the time Luther Jones had just been instrumental in heading up the campaign for John Hill for governor. There was a really great group of young, naïve people involved in El Paso politics at that time. We all meant well. There was still the ethics and caring of the 60’s in the air. Mary Haynes, Suzie Azar, and Pat O'Rourke were part of this group.

Since then I had to spend many years pursuing a career. I also had three wives (sequentially, not concurrently), I lived in south Louisiana Cajun country for three years, and then in Europe for 15 years. Along the way I managed to get old, fat, and grey. I also completely quit smoking and drinking.


Getting back to El Paso after all this time it sure is interesting to see who has died, who has prospered, who has drunk themselves to death or OD'ed, and who has been indicted.
-
If what is leaking out of the FBI investigation is just 10% true, then there sure has been some rampant corruption going on downtown.

This is one of the more open articles I have seen on the subject:

http://www.newspapertree.com/opinion/1475-moving-past-the-jonesville-scandal-reforming-el-paso-politics