Monday, February 19, 2007

Guadalupe Peak




Yesterday I was driving from Carlsbad, NM to El Paso, TX so I went through Guadalupe Pass.

Each year they hold a photography contest to see what picture will go on the front of the annual pass credit card for the national parks. This year El Capitan - Guadalupe Peak won.

For years I had on my wall a black and white photo of El Capitan by Ansel Adams which I had purchased in Santa Fe. The person in gallery where I bought it told me that it was real and an original.

-

I broke the glass years later and had to reframe it, only to find out that it was a printing press print, not a photograph. So in disgust at the dishonesty of these capitalists in the galleries of Santa Fe I threw it away.

Guadalupe peak is the highest peak in Texas.

In the late 1970’s I was vice-Chairman on the Guadalupe Wilderness Committee. Wes Leonard and to lesser degree myself played a part in getting major parts of the mountains classified officially as wilderness.

When the Butterfield Stage first started operation it went through Guadalupe Pass. This was the highest elevation it reached anywhere on the route from St. Louis to California. Parts of the stage station still exist. And the neatest thing is the ruins are only a few hundred feet from the highway. The ruins are even wheel chair accessible.