Wednesday, January 03, 2007

Happiness Is.....

-
If you Goggle the above phrase you will get an amazing array of views. To Aristotle it was Self Sufficiency. To some it is seeing ?????? in your rear view mirror. Lubbock, Bristol, Lodi, you name it.
-
I've spent close to 20 years of my adult life living in Europe. That is roughly 1/2 of the time since I reached adulthood. First a few years in Frankfurt, Germany in the early 70's when I was in the army. Then many years later I returned for a 15 year stint as the General Manager of the European Division of a multi-national food company.
-
And today I saw The Netherlands in my rear view mirror for the last time. Since I am currently engaged in what I hope continues to a long drawn out battle against what the doctors say is an incurable malignant cancer, I'm certain that I will not be coming back to Holland. Its a nice place. I have enjoyed living in Europe tremendously this time.
-
But at the same time I'm REALLY excited about going back to my roots and beginning a completely new chapter in this little adventure. How exciting!
-
At the moment I'm sitting in my hotel room at the Sheraton right at the Brussels Airport. I'll spend the night here, then tomorrow morning I will head West across the pond.
-
Before leaving today I drove over to the hauptbahnhof in Aachen to buy a British newspaper. One of the articles said that now for the first time more than 50% of adult women in the UK are unmarried. It seems that they feel that they are getting a bad deal...being forced to work, be a mommie, yet still do all the cooking and housework too. And from time to time instead of being protected by their husbands, getting beat up or shot by them. So more and more women are delaying marriage until at least well into their 30's.
-
That all seems very logical. Here is the rub: I'm 58. Its amazing how many totally desperate women there are in their 40's and 50's. They would do anything to get a husband. Really, ANYTHING! As deficient and screwed-up as men are, these old women would willingly give up several years of their remaining life just to get a man. Sad is the kindest thing one can say about this. More honest is disgusting and revolting.
-