Sunday, December 17, 2006

Sony Ericsson GSM Cellphone


For the last several years I have used the top of the line Sony cellphone which has an organizer, opens and modifies PDF, word, and excel files, plays MP3s, takes VGA pictures. I've had a P900 and two P910s. The latest P910 no longer will recognize the memory card, so I looked at buying the new P990. But here their very most fancy and expensive model is only a tri band, not a quad band. I really like most Sony products, but them making the P990 only a triband was not at all wise.

So instead I bought a w810i quad band phone. It is tiny and it was a heck of a lot cheaper. With a 4 GB memory card in it I still have more than 2 gb of available memory even with 1,500 songs stored in it and just over 4,000 pictures also. It does nice slide shows and also a wonderful job as an MP3 walkman. Oh, it has a good FM radio built in to it too.
-
It communicates very well with my lap top via bluetooth. It synchronizes my calendar, notes, to do list, list of contacts, etc. with no problems at all from M.S. Outlook. And M.S. Outlook synchronizes quite easily with my calendar in Yahoo too. The w810i has a speaker phone built it, and instead of just a VGA camera it has a 2 megapixel camera with true autofocus, macro function, and a strobe light for low light conditions. The camera light can be used as a flashlight (a torch for my British friends), battery life is really quite good, it takes nice and relatively high quality videos, and it will send and receive e-mail or surf the web.

It was sort of a big deal today when I said goodby and finally packed away the P910i, but this represents real progress. Change is good when it results in improvement.
-
-