Saturday, January 16, 2010

Late Night Talk Shows

Craig Ferguson is by far my favorite. His tough guy, don't give a damn attitude is mostly theatrics.

It appears that NBC is just about complete in negotiating Conan The Barbarian's discharge. Jay Leno is old, overweight, and he certainly is not perfect, but Leno is a genuinely nice guy. He is polite without being a prig or a snob. Conan is rude and offensive. He is the sort of person who enjoys watching someone get punked, maybe even get injured a bit. Conan is not my type at all.

David Letterman's ego is so gigantic that everything is about him. And now this self centered, unpleasant person turns out to have been engaged in a pattern of sexual harassment continuing over many years. I record him and Craig Ferguson on my DVR so that I can watch them at a more sensible hour. During the Letterman show I fast forward not just past the commercials, but over all of his monologue. I normally briefly check out who he is interviewing, and then I go on to really watch and enjoy Craig Ferguson.

Jimmy Kimmel and the others are hardly even worth commenting on. I sort of like Kimmel, but Jimmy is distinctly right wing and has behaved in quite an ill-mannered fashion when interviewing some famous guests. People who are smart, well educated, and are trying to improve the world. Not just some fat ass late night TV talk show host. Jimmy is not as bad as Rush Limbaugh, but I'll bet Jimmy Kimmel secretly listens to Rush in the closet while gorging himself on cheese.

Jay Leno has taken a lot of criticism from his competitors, but mostly this is a manifestation of their jealousy and sour grapes. Leno is really a nice person; so is Craig Ferguson. They each are sort of humble in their own ways. Both do stand up comedy completely unrelated to their TV shows. The others guys are just egotistical weirdos who wish they were as talented as these two guys are.

-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-