Monday, January 11, 2010

How To Lose Health Care Reform

It is important that I preface this by saying that I am a long term liberal Democrat. An anti-war progressive. I was an anti-Vietnam war demonstrator who later served honorably in the U.S. Army. Many years ago I even ran for a minor office and was elected – as a Democrat of course. I vote, I have donated to Obama more than once, and I worked in his campaign.

I get emails at least once a week from the Obama people asking for donations. But they don't ever say what the money is going to be used for. Nor have I seen an accounting of what the money has actually been spent on. I have become so concerned about this lack of openness and transparency that I have stopped making any further donations.

This morning I received an email from these people which really goes over the line. Click on the picture and it should enlarge enough to be readable. The fund raising letter suggests that we are in danger of losing health care reform due to apathy and complacency on the part of Obama supporters.

Let me paint an entirely different picture. We are seeing such apathy and complacency among the supporters of Universal Health Care because so many of us feel that President Obama has completely sold us out. Millions of people are still not going to have health care coverage under the Obama plan. He has sold out the consumer to the drug companies, and he has done a total about face on his campaign support for the "single payer" plan. Then they sold out the even weaker “public option” and even the possibility of buying into social security before you are 65.

Obama has surrounded himself with Wall Street and right wing economists; he has greatly raised the number of troops fighting in the various wars (which he promised to end); and he has not closed all the secret jails run by the U.S. Government. All this has been done dishonestly while pretending to be For the People and By the People.

HELL YES a great many of his prior supporters now are sadly beginning to disassociate themselves from Barack Obama and all his right wing, “no backbone” buddies. This man talks good. So did Ronald Rayguns. But their actions speak far louder than their eloquent but deceptive words.

-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-