Sunday, June 21, 2009

Bert Saldaña



I was visiting the Mission Trail arts fair at the San Elizario mission this morning, and I ran into an old friend of mine. I have known Bert Saldaña since high school, but we had not seen each other for almost 40 years. Bert is a truly outstanding painter and artist. I agree with one website which says that His art candidly captures the strength and beauty of everyday life of the indigenous people of the Southwestern and Mexican cultures.”

Reading his biography I see that in his spare time he works as “the Senior Museum Exhibit Designer/Artist for the U.S. Army and conducts training seminars in Museum Exhibit Design Techniques for the Center of Military's sixty six Army Museums.”

It was really nice to catch up on what our old friends have been up to. Bert looks almost exactly the same as he did many years ago. Alas I am afraid that I have aged far more than he has.
-