Monday, February 02, 2009

Zimbabwe

I read in the news today that Zimbabwe's central bank has again revalued the Zimbabwean dollar to compensate for the country's hyperinflation.

Twelve zeros will be knocked off the bills currently in circulation. So now a one-trillion-Zimbabwean-dollar bill is worth just one U.S. dollar. Just six months ago another 10 zeros were knocked off the national currency.

I have always been pretty good at mathematics but I don’t have the wildest idea what a one with 22 zeroes following it is called, so I looked it up. Either ten thousand trillion or ten sextillion.

If there ever was a leader of a country who could be called a total loser, Mr. Mugabe certainly qualifies. The odd thing is most other African leaders still support him. I guess many of their own regimes are so corrupt that they don’t dare begin criticizing each other.
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-