Sunday, November 16, 2008

Bye Bye Detroit and Thanks For All The Great V8's

In the last 10 years I have bought a number of new cars. And none has been an American car.

In the 1960’s I owned a 1965 Ford Mustang with a V8, a ’56 Chevy hot rod, and a VW bug. I got laid the first time in the back of a V8 Ford Falcon convertible. And in 1977 my wife and I had a full size Chevy that my brother in law and sister gave to me. Later I drove a 429 cubic inch V8 Ford LTD that I inherited when my Dad passed away. And in 1980 I bought a Corvette from the future mayor of the city of El Paso, Texas. I drove a used six cylinder GMC 1/2 ton pickup truck which I bought from our company after my second divorce in the early 1980's.

But since the early 1980's almost every car I have bought has either been a Toyota or Nissan. Except for one BMW I bought for my wife, one V8 Mercedes SUV, and one very small Fiat. Lets see, in Toyotas I have had one Tercel, two Celicas, one white van, one Toyota in Europe which is not sold in America, a Prius, and a Corolla. In the Nissan brand I had four different 4-wheel-drive SUVs. I was living in Europe at the time and they all were models that Nissan sells to the rest of the world, but not in America.

It isn’t that I am at all unpatriotic. I served 3 years in the U.S. Army during the Vietnam war. I got an honorable discharge and a couple of medals. That’s more than either of our last two presidents can say.

I’m just not a total fool.

Toyota and Nissan have been building vastly better cars than Ford, Chrysler, or GM for the last 25 years. Pure and simple. Detroit has been consumed by greed, making these big pig V8 pickups and SUVs which get horrible fuel economy and have a poor resale value.

Now finally the American car companies are dying. It is sad to see. Honest. There was a time when the American V8 ruled. But that time is long past.

In real life, companies which continue to make foolish and incorrect decisions year-after-year eventually go belly up. That is just how it works. Sorry.
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-