Sunday, November 16, 2008

Bohdi

Bohdi has cancer and is dying. The vet says he probably won't make it to Christmas. All around his neck he has grossly swollen lymph nodes. I guess they are a type of lymphoma. Actually they feel rather similar to mine.

Bohdi belongs to my sister and oldest nephew. He’s a really big dog. Allegedly he is part wolf. When you first meet him his sheer size is a bit intimidating.

But once you get to know him you realize that he has a heart of gold, and that basically he is just a big, friendly, gentle bear.

Twice in the last two weeks I have taken him for a little walk. The veterinarian has him taking steroids, which makes him feel a lot better and gives him more energy. But even with the steroids, after about 50 or 75 meters he has pretty much run out of gas and is ready to turn around and go back home.

Last night I got to thinking about Bohdi. He sure is setting a great example for all of us to follow. No complaining. He’s not making any big deal about it all. He is a model of quiet dignity and grace. No whining, not at all grumpy. Just stoic stateliness. An inspiration to us all.

If I still had faith and believed in those Christian fairy tales, I would say a little prayer asking God to help me find the personal strength to follow his example. But I don’t believe any of that hogwash any more, so I will just do my best to live up to the high standards that Bohdi is setting.
--
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
--
-
-
-