Friday, January 04, 2008

Hector Bernal



-
It is a genuine shame that the economic slowdown is resulting in the Hal Marcus gallery in El Paso, Texas closing down. The two ladies who own it are good business people, really pleasant, and hard working. This has been a unique and special art gallery under their ownership. I will miss it.
-
One of the artists in their collections has been Hector Bernal. I have a couple of paintings by him. I bought another one today and gave it to my sister. Bernal is a very imaginative and talented painter.
--
The following is taken from their web site at http://www.halmarcus.com/artist_gallery/bernal/bernal.html
-
Hector was born in Ciudad Juarez, Chihuahua, Mexico. He came to El Paso at the age of twelve in 1959. He then attended Aoy Elementary School in south El Paso. He also attended Bowie High School and graduated in 1968. His priorities changed soon after graduation. He got married and started a family. Having the responsibility of supporting his wife and children, he had no choice but to neglect his painting. He took a job as a commercial artist in 1974 and also worked at The Popular Department Store and The White House Department Store. He resumed his painting in 1986, since he had a little more time and space. In 1997, he had his first one man show which was a great success. Since then he exhibits his works and continues to paint. "Painting has always been the language of my inner being. It is my gift not my profession. Modernism and technology dazzle everyone, but we remain as artists to say who we are with our hands, our imagination and with our vision. I strongly believe that a man as an artist should always be concerned with the problems of social struggle. Painting to me is a process of freedom by which I express not simply what I see but how I feel and see with my eyes. Through painting I want to express what moves me most....the human aspect"
-
---------------((click on the picture and it will enlarge)
-


-