Saturday, September 02, 2006

Roman Bronzes


-

Today in Brussels I acquired two bronze items to add to my collection of old stuff.

One is a really nice bronze figurine of a Roman God.
-
I have seen these types of figurines in many of the Roman museums all over Europe, but I have never had the chance to buy one before. I think that this one depicts Hercules holding a club in his left hand, but it might be Mercury too. I'm not certain.
-
It is about 11 cm high and dates from the 2nd to 3rd century A.D.
-
It was found in a Roman burial using a metal detector near Krefeld, Germany.

-
-

-

-

-

I also bought a Roman coin depicting Julia Domna dating dated A.D. 217.
-
Julia Domna was the wife of the Roman Emperor Septimus Severus.
-
-
Link to my collection of ancient coins: http://tinyurl.com/nu8p5

She

-

-