Saturday, September 23, 2006

Eygelshoven





-
When they were renovating the middle age church in the center of our village they found a Roman mile marker stone hidden away in the basement.

-

There are neolithic and paleolithic settlements all around here.

-
There are also lots of 2,000 year old Roman settlements and villas. And a nice little stream called the Wurm runs through Eygelshoven.

-

No doubt a Roman road ran through town too.

-

Probably this old middle age Christian church was built on the site of a far older pagan church. That is quite normal.
-
I bought this old post card of the village church in an antiques sale.
-
I was walking past the church today and noticed this guy. So I took a picture of him. I have no idea who this fellow is, but he sure is spooky looking!

-

Oops, Hold the phone. My pagan tendencies are showing. I'll bet that is a representation of the carpenter, Jesus of Nazareth.
-


-