Saturday, August 21, 2010

Dutch Sailor Begins Solo Round The World Trip

Laura Dekker, the 14 year old Dutch girl, has begun her attempt to sail solo around the world. I admit to feelings of concern for her welfare.

At age fourteen I sure thought I was an adult. I was deciding priorities and writing the checks to pay our family's bills...my parents only signed the checks. I had a driver's license and my own car. I was an avid ham radio operator and was active in the El Paso Amateur Radio Club. Thanks to the lively Juarez, Mexico I was able to drink and go to various sex shows that would have made sailors blush. Back in America I was as sexually active as I was when I was in my 20's and 30's.

If you look just a short period back in history you will see that at age 14 men were fighting in the American Civil War. They were fighting and dying just as heroically or sadly as the old geezers. Look a little further back in time and it becomes clear that for much of human history people were expected to behave like adults and were treated as adults at this tender young age.

I wish Laura Dekker well, but I'm still a bit concerned.

LINK TO ARTICLE: http://www.rnw.nl/english/bulletin/dutch-teen-missing-ahead-solo-sailing-bid-launch

-
-
-
-
-
-
-