Monday, May 10, 2010

Derringer


The term derringer is a misspelling of the last name of Henry Deringer, a famous maker of small pocket pistols in the early 1800s. The derringer type of hand gun is the smallest configuration in a given size of bullet. This has made it the gun of choice for concealed carry for many years. In the past derringers were frequently used by assassins (such as John Wilkes Booth), and women because they are easily concealable in a purse or even as a stocking gun. Sometimes people think of the derringer in connection with gamblers.

I was out in the desert this morning with the dog several miles away from civilization test firing my new Cobra large bore derringer. This derringer was made in America, and is a two shot version. It comes with interchangeable barrels for either .38 special (but not the higher pressure +P version) or Federal .32 H&R Magnum rounds.

It is an incredibly small and light firearm. Sometimes I have wanted a handgun that is smaller and lighter even than my titanium frame .38 special snub-nose revolver. This derringer is perfect. My only comment that is less than 100% positive is the high trigger pressure required. My goodness, you really need to squeeze very hard on the trigger for it to fire. But I suppose in way this is a safety feature.

-
-
-
-
-
-