Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Goldfinger

When I was in college in the late 1960's I read most of the Ian Fleming novels about the British spy called 007. There have been twenty one James Bond movies made to date, most of which I watched when they were new.

Not long ago I bought a complete set of all 21 James Bond movies which have been digitally remastered and burned to DVD. I am gradually working my way through them in chronological order. Yesterday evening I finished the third movie, which was entitled Goldfinger. It is a movie about a supremely evil character named Mr. Goldfinger who is totally consumed with his lust for riches and gold.

As in all the 007 movies there are lots of exciting fight scenes, high tech spy gadgetry, and several beautiful and sexy women. Goldfinger is the movie in which Honor Blackman plays the character named Pussy Galore. The character she plays is beautiful, intelligent, sexy, is good at karate, and is a pilot. She is the primary pilot of Mr. Goldfinger's corporate jet. She also owns and runs a flight school in America which has a fleet of low wing Piper Cherokee airplanes.

I once almost bought a Piper Cherokee 140. While on the “test drive” the airspeed indicator failed, and I had to land the plane without stalling or crashing, only knowing the airspeed by the sound of the wind and visual indications. I was busy enough that I didn't even declare an emergency to air traffic control. In the end I decided not to buy that airplane.

In the movie James Bond drives his tricked out Aston Martin all over the Swiss alps. I haven't ever driven one, but I did get to see this actual Aston Martin he drove in a museum one time. I have been to the Swiss alps many times. The alps are one of the prettiest areas in the entire world. In fact on one backpacking trip into the alps I got to witness an avalanche first hand, up real close and personal; thank goodness without anyone being injured. It was on that particular snow camping trip where I learned/experienced that one can utilize snow balls as toilet paper to wipe your ass after taking a number two. Your rectum contains no temperature sensors. It goes without saying that you need to be rather careful so as to avoid frostbite of that portion of your anatomy.

The climax of the movie Goldfinger takes place in Ft. Knox, Kentucky. In 1972 I got to know the place pretty well. The scenery is green and wonderful. Beautiful Dogwood trees, and some of the largest pine cones I had ever seen at the time. After doing a course in Leadership Preparation I did my Advanced Individual Training (AIT) at the U.S. Army at the Armor Center in Ft. Knox. I learned to drive a tank. This is the ultimate off-road vehicle, with a massive engine, a Chrysler two speed automatic transmission, and no muffler. The M60 tank had a gun which shot bullets a bit larger than 4 inches in diameter (105 mm). When that weapon fires and you are sitting a few feet away inside of the tank, the noise is so loud that you feel the sound vibrating the organs inside your torso. For a second or two this noise is so loud that it sort of knocks you senseless.

It was really pleasant to see the location where America's gold reserves were stored in the movie; I remember it well from forty years ago. They did a good job of filming the military post at Ft. Knox too.

For many years Americans were not allowed to own gold by federal law. This movie was filmed back in that era. I must admit that in the late 1970s I sort of “assisted” my greedy, capitalistic boss of the time in purchasing a solid gold Rolex watch in Juarez, Mexico and then transporting it over the border to America. No doubt the statute of limitations has long since expired, but in case it has not I suppose I shouldn't say much more about that particular event. I have since owned two different Rolexes myself, but I must say that the gold model of Rolex made back then sure did feel heavy on one's wrist.

-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-