Monday, December 21, 2009

Surprise Parties

I recently was invited to a surprise birthday party for one of my relatives. Surprise is the operative word here.

A Surprise Party has a lot in common with Punking someone. Maybe the person is tired, or in a bad mood, or has been out all day hiking and smells horrible. Rather than being able to properly prepare himself emotionally and otherwise for a party in his honor, it is just thrust upon him like an unexpected slap in the face. This is inconsiderate, bad mannered, and rude behavior.

Surprise parties share certain similarities with negative or put down humor.

I didn't say any of this to the host; I simply declined to participate. I didn't wish to be a participant in this sort of thing. My lack of attendance seems to have caused a wee bit of resentment.

Do I look like I'm overly concerned?

-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-