Tuesday, June 09, 2009

Spangish

I answered the doorbell this morning to find two, well dressed, kind of pudgy old Mexican-American women. It was obvious that they were true believers who were going around the neighborhood proselytizing about their religion. You know the types. Nice, sweet, but very misguided religious fanatics. I once told one that I considered him and his colleagues to be more dangerous than the Taliban.

Here is the funny part. This old woman asked me using the Spanish language, “Do you speak English?”

I answered her also speaking Spanish saying, “No, I am sorry but I do not speak Spanish.” I said this to her in Spanish speaking with an almost perfect Spanish accent.

So she said to me in broken English, “Well, have a good day Sir.”

And I returned the courtesy, using the English language, saying to her, “You too Mam.”

She wasn’t looking for a well thought out religious argument from an old bearded Gringo, and I sure didn’t want to hurt her feelings or be rude to her either.

-
-
-
-
--
-
-
-
--