Sunday, June 28, 2009

Sewing Machines

My Mother started me in the first grade a year early. Mostly I think she was hoping that I would get a head start on the other kids.

Before I began school she bought herself a new Pfaff sewing machine. Included in the deal was a several week course on how to sew with your new Pfaff sewing machine. Since she didn’t have a baby sitter, I went along to these classes. To her surprise I learned much more than she did. I was fascinated by the machinery, and after the class was finished I would need to show her how to sew things like button holes.

Since I was about 20 years old I have always had my own sewing machine. At first they were used machines, but as my career advanced I owned new ones. I have never made myself any clothes, but I have made covers for sleeping bags, goose down comforters, and several camping tents of my own design. My specialty is repairing clothing, sewing on new buttons, patches, Velcro, and taking clothes in when necessary.

Over the last 60 years I have been married and divorced three times. Every single time my ex-wife stole my sewing machine. After the third divorce I was not even bitter about it. I just considered this as an opportunity to go get a new sewing machine.

Typically I only need to bring out the sewing machine 3 or 4 times per year. One of the problems in not sewing very often is that one tends to forget how to do really simple things like refill a bobbin.

This morning I was over at Wal-Mart buying a 20” X 30” picture frame. As I passed the sewing section I had to pause and browse a bit. I saw (and I bought) the most interesting thing. They had on sale a packet of 12 bobbins which were pre-filled, 6 with white thread and 6 black. In the bad old days this would have seemed extremely wasteful, but here is the kicker: Twelve bobbins already pre-filled with thread cost only $2.50! This many bobbins will absolutely outlive me, so to me it is a terrific bargain.
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-